Brief Introduction of The Center
Ⅰ Historical Evaluation
The research of state-owned economy in Jilin University derives from the researches of socialism economic theory and would economic theory. After the adjustment of academy in 1952, Jilin University set up the department of economics based on 5 departments and 8 subjects (political economics, public finance, banking theory, enterprise management, trade & economics, cooperated economics, statistics, accounting) in the former Northeast University. Authorized by the National education committee in 1985, the department of economics was enlarged to be the college of economic management of Jilin University. From the building to the development, the college of economic management of Jilin University has been taken genial care by the leaders of the Party and Nation. The former vice chairman of Central Committee of the Communist Party of China, director of the Central Advisory Commission of the Communist Party of China, veteran proletarian revolutionist, Comrade Chen Yun inscribed the name for the college of economic management of Jilin University. Member of the Standing Committee of the Political Bureau, vice Premier of State Council, pluralistic professor of Jilin University, Comrade Li Lanqing, and State Councilors, secretary-general of State Council, Comrade Wang Zhongyu inscribed to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the college of economic management of Jilin University in 1995. Since the Jilin University set the economics subject up, the socialist economic theory and the world economic theory have always been the two of the preponderant subjects of Jilin University. These two subjects are qualified to award the Ph.D. degree, and are influential all over the country. Though out the development of these subjects, professor Guan Mengjue, professor Zhang Weida, professor Chi Yuanji and other veteran scholars settled excellent base for the establishing of the Center for China Public Sector Economy Research in Jilin University and the training of the students with their firm academic direction of Marxism, their precise and guileless style of study and their abundant research finds. The Center for China Public Sector Economy Research in Jilin University was set up after reorganizing the former College of Economic Management of Jilin University, Economic Research Institute of Jilin University, State-owned Enterprises Reform Institute. Authorized by the National education committee, Economic Research Institute of Jilin University was set up in 1985, which was a economic research institution that set up quite early after the reform and opening-up of our country. At first, the Economic Research Institute consisted of four research lab as the socialist economic theory research lab, the Chinese economic history research lab, the sector economy research lab and the systems engineering research lab, meanwhile, with a library and a computer room. In 1991, the systems engineering research lab was separated from the Economic Research Institute. In the same year, two new research labs were added, the western economy research lab and the world economy research lab. In 1992, the sector economy research lab was turned to the economic management research lab. In order to meet the need of state-owned enterprises reform, Jilin University cooperated with the Jilin chemical industry group joint stock Ltd and set up the State-owned Enterprises Reform Institute together in 1995. In 1999, after the sufficient demonstration, by reorganizing the former College of Economic Management of Jilin University, Economic Research Institute of Jilin University, State-owned Enterprises Reform Institute, the Center for China Public Sector Economy Research in Jilin University was set up, so that, the superiority of the economic subjects in Jilin University on the research of the adjustment and development of state-owned economy, state-owned enterprises reform, reconstruction of the traditional industry base and the comparison between Chinese and foreign state-owned economy can be exerted efficaciously. The center works according to the completely new running system and managing model, with four research labs---- Research lab of Strategic adjustment of state-owned economy, Research lab of state-owned enterprises in northeast region, Research lab of foreign state-owned enterprises and Research lab of management consultation. Decided by the Committee of the Communist Party of Jilin University, the principal appointed professor Xu Chuanchen as the director and professor Ren Junsheng as vice-director. The full time administrative secretary, the scientific research secretary as well as a network information librarian are also appointed. The Center invited professor Zhang Weida to be the Advisor of the Center and professor Zheng Haihang to be the Director of the Academic committee of the Center.
ⅡThe Base of Research
A group of excellent researchers and scholars have been engaged at the Center.
There are 12 full-time and 14 part-time researchers. Among the 12 full-time
Researchers, there are 8 PH.D. Supervisors, 11 PhDs., 10 professors and 2 associate
Professors. Among the 14 part-time researchers, there are 6 PH.D. Supervisors,
11 PhDs.,8 professors and 6 associate Professors. All of the Fall-time and part-time
researchers are middle-aged scholars with great academic attainments and potentials. They are all in the prime of life with high theoretical level and good style of study. They have made common theoretical interest ,research style and social responsibility in the long period of cooperation .
The economic subject, which the Center is rooted in, was the first band to be qualified to award the Ph.D. degree and Master degree of political economics. And recently, authorized by the National Ministry of Education, we became the first class subject of theoretical economics and was qualified to award the Ph.D. degree. Now, with 81 Ph.D. graduate students, the Center has the recognition all over the nation to be the top grade of the student training. The Center has many kinds of subjects, among them, plutonomy, world economy, institutional economics, law and economy are qualified to award the Ph.D. degree, as well as plutonomy, world economics, western economics, finance, industry economics, international trade, institutional economics, law and economy are qualified to award the Master degree, and there is also a Post-doctoral Research Station of theoretical economics. And plutonomy is the “national economic foundational training base”, and was confirmed by the government of Jilin Province to be the key subject of the higher education of Jilin Province. All these subjects become the powerful backups of the study on state-owned economy.
All the researchers of the Center have taken some projects in hands; some of them are the key scientific research projects of national class or provincial class. During the four years from1996 to 1999, the fulltime researchers have taken 25 projects of several class and kinds in all as the chief principals. They are 4 of National fund for social science, 10 of the education ministry fund of humanities and social science research, 6 of the fund for social science of Jilin Province and programming projects of the development of science and technology and 2 of the cooperation projects between Chinese and European higher education. Meanwhile, the part-time researchers have taken 18 projects of several class and kinds as the chief principals. They are 7 of National fund for social science, 5 of the education ministry fund of humanities and social science research, 1 of other ministries and commissions’ fund for social science, 3 of provincial fund for social science, 1 of the projects that are entrusted by the corporations.
Since 2000, the researchers of the Center have taken 6 of the Key project of the national key research bases in humanities and social science research of the ministry of education. And the researches of these projects have already received abundant metaphase results.
The researchers of the Center have received a large group of research results that are influential over the economic academia internationally. During the four years from1996 to 1999, the fulltime researchers have published 12 monographs, 3 other literatures and 228 articles as the first author, while the part-time researchers published 13 monographs and 174 articles also as the first author. The fulltime researchers as the first author have received 10 scientific research awards beyond the provincial class (6 first class awards, 4 second class awards). And the part-time researchers as the first author have received 8 scientific research awards beyond the provincial class (3 first class awards, 5 second class awards). And 13 monographs and 105 articles were published during year 2001 to June 2003.
Our Center keeps the wide communication and cooperation with economic academia and the practical sectors. We keep the communication and cooperation with brother universities as Renmin University of China, Peking University, Economic institution of Chineses Academy of Social Science, Fudan University, Nankai University, Xiamen University, Wuhan University, Nanjing University, Shandong Universityy, Liaoning University, Capital University of Economics and Business, the Macro-college of the State Development Planning Commission as well as the practical sectors as State Economic and Trade Commission, State Development Planning Commission, State Capital Commission of State Council, Development Planning Commission of the three province in the northeast, Economic and Trade Commission of the three province in the northeast, Office of structure reform, State-owned capital management institution and so on. Meanwhile the researchers of the Center have been researching and teaching in the famous universities and research institutions abroad, such as Kansas State University, University of San Francisco, University of California at Berkeley, University of Texas, University of Tokyo, Kwansei Gakuin university, Seinan Gakuin University, Waseda University, Kyoritsu University, Management institution of Tokyo, University of Glasgow, University of Manchester, Far east research institution of Russia and so on.
The Center has held two large academic proseminar. On November 15th and 16th 2001, the Center together with the college of economics and the Guangming Daily held “entrepreneur and expert top forum: academic proseminar on new thoughts of state-owned enterprise reform” in the People's Congress Hall in Beijing. Over 100 scholars attended this proseminar. Ten famous scholars gave the main lectures, concerning to the effect on the state-owned economy and state-owned enterprises of the entry to WTO, and give the policy suggestion to the development of state-owned economy. Theory page of Guangming daily reported this proseminar in large pages on February 8th, 2002. On August 9th and 10th, 2002, the Center together with the college of Economics and the newsroom of Economic research journal of Chineses Academy of Social Science, held the academic conference for the reform and development of state-owned enterprises after the entry to WTO in the international conference room of the Redbud Hotel in Changchun Jilin Province. 12 scholars from America, Korea and Japan as well as 80 members from universities, government and corporations attended the conference. The conference received more than 100 articles according to it, and selected 74 of them. All the scholars attended the conference discussed and communicated thoroughly about the key issues and countermeasures for the new round of state-owned enterprise reform and development after the entry to WTO. The Jilin TV station reported the success of this conference.
The working condition of the Center is superiority. We have a quite complete stock of Chinese economic books, especially the latest copies, abundant of foreign books, together with plenty of office-used horses and facilities. On the homepage of the Center (http://www. ccpser.com), columns as “research on state-owned economy”, ” state-owned economy forum”, “trends of state-owned economy” and so on are established, so that the information of state-owned research can be collected and spread more effectively.
Ⅲ The Plan and Aim of the Center
In the area of state-owned economy, the Center for China Public Sector Economy Research in Jilin University’s general goal of development is to establish a nation-leading, internationally-influential center of scientific research, of information and consulting service, and to contribute greatly to the theoretical research and strategic adjustment of Chinese state-owned economy, and to the reforms and development of state-owned enterprises.
To achieve this, we will mainly deal with the following tasks:
1. Adhere to Marxism-Leninism, Mao Zedong Thought, Deng Xiaoping Theory and the "three represents" important thought, implement the basic line, general and specific policies of the Party; Persist in the “bi-hundred” guideline, encourage innovation, support critique, enable contention, bring in fresh blood, advocate academic democracy, maintain the best circumstance for academic development, theoretics prosperity and fresh blood bloom.
2. Push the new manage system for scientific research all-around, put the institution of the entire personnel engagement, the super elimination, the fluxion between the new and the old into practice to keep the group always efficient and optimum; adopt the method of encourage for greater contribution, fluctuating wage and bonus for outstanding achievement in order to join the interest mechanism, dedication and contribution together, also to make the Center a demonstration for the research of framework and personnel administration reform.
3. Well organize the scientific research, invite the young or middle age inland scholar who done well in the domain of public sector economy in turns to be the part time or full time researcher of the Center. Also work together with related department both in the center and the northeast and state-owned enterprises manage to solve the problem such as the adjustment and development of state-owned economy, the frontier issue of the state-owned enterprise’s strategic reorganization and reform as well as the important theoretic and practical problems in the socialist modernization, try the best to make the Center a base of thought, theory, quality and talent. Through the research of some important issues, the Center quicken the innovation of knowledge, heighten the research competence of the researchers in the Center, make the Center’s original academic characteristic and superiority more distinct, meanwhile form some new academic growth point, accelerate the construction and consummation of the state-owned economy system info with Chinese characteristics, let the Center be a state-owned economy research base with blue ribbon internal and advanced international. These important issues are “strategic adjustment of state-owned economy and the in-depth reform of state-owned enterprises”, ”reform of foreign state-owned enterprises study”, “research on reforms and development of natural monopoly industries”, “strategic recombination of state-owned enterprises in competitive industries”, “countermeasures for the new round of state-owned enterprises reform”, “research on management of state-owned holding enterprises”, “adjustment and reconstruction of traditional northeastern industrial base”, “innovation of state-owned financial system”, “control of state-owned economy in socialist market economic system”, ” ”research on public sector economy policies in consonance with the socialist market economy”, “countermeasures for innovation of state-owned enterprises’ institution and technique”, ”manage patterns of state-owned enterprises”, etc.
4. Take advantages of the Center’s scientific research and information exchange, tighten the relationship between research and the talent. Put the research fruit into the teaching practice betimes, so that the spirit of the new era and the new view of socialist market economy theory will be internalized in the teaching process and effected on students, as a result the quality of the master and the PhD will reach a higher level, and they will become researchers and managers tend to innovate and capable of practicing, then the Center will be a cradle of high-level talent.
5. Flourish the academic exchange, keep the communications with other universities and colleges internal or overseas. Plan to hold academic symposium nationally every year, and internationally every other year. 2 or 3 researchers will be selected and sent abroad to communicate or research, while some famous scholar overseas will be invited to the Center to discourse or research every year. Through this method, enhance the academic exchange overseas, enlarge the influence of the Center’s research fruits abroad, make the Center a hinge for academic exchange in the field of state-owned economy.
6. Quicken the construction of the information system, set up columns such as “library of state-owned economy”, “database of state-owned enterprises”, “catalog of Chinese books”, ”catalog of foreign books”, “forum of state-owned economy”, ”research of state-owned economy”, etc on the homepage of the Center to collect all kinds of documents of state-owned economy. Enrich the stock of books and documents, moreover join the network of Jilin University and the national document center. Go on to operate the periodical on net---- the research on state-owned economy. Follow the frontier of state-owned economy theory and practice, assemble and spread the research fruit of state-owned economy theory, collect and release the research information so as to make the Center a information center of research on Chinese state-owned economy.
7. Serve the society, set up the consultation organization together with the department of state-owned capital regulation, the department of state-owned capital operation and the state-owned enterprises, design some project accord with the need of the society. These project include many domain such as strategic adjustment of state-owned economy, strategic recombination and reform of state-owned enterprises, operation of state-owned capital, modern enterprise institution, management of state-owned enterprises and the train of the managers for enterprises, etc. Offering high quality and efficient consultation service to the society, the Center also serves as a consultation service agency of state-owned economy issues.